Sunday, January 3, 2010

Keeping it Simple


Yesterday I went out and bought my annual diary. Normally I go for something with a bit of humour (Far Side is always a favourite) but this year decided to be a Grown Up and bought the "French Women don't get Fat" diary. It is, unpredictably, a very chic little diary full of lovely french quotes, recipes and words of wisdom. I ended up taking it back.... not because I didn't love it and would love to strive to follow those words of wisdom and have the chic, fashionable "French Life" she describes, but because life it far to chaotic for such simplicity. I ended up with a very sensible diary with lots of pages and lists and stickers to help organise my life. Very boring....

However before I begrudgingly returned my French diary, I did flick through and read some of the words of wisdom and the theme was definitely "Keep It Simple". Whether it be fashion, food, or life, Less is More.

I have always remembered the words of Audrey Hepburn in relation to fashion - which is "take one thing off before you walk out the door". In other words - keep it simple, don't clutter your self with to much jewellery or too many layers.

The French are big believers in eating food that is in season, which thankfully is becoming a trend of late. Fruit and vegetables that are in season are so much more delicious that you don't need to do to much to them, just a small amount of seasoning on your vegetables and the taste is accentuated not drowned.

Keeping "Life" simple is a little more of a challenge. For 2010 it is our families goal to make our life less hectic and more fun. Now my oldest is off to school, I am determined to enjoy our last few weeks of being together all the time. I'm not sure how I am going to achieve this, as there is a fair amount of fighting between siblings that goes on, but with calming music and lots of physical activity hopefully it will all be OK. The hard thing is finding this to occupy the kids. The best thing I have found so far for my oldest is the Maths and English work books. I know.... how lucky am I having a child who likes to do that sort of thing, but she does, so I am encouraging. A few gold stars always add to the excitement......

No comments:

Post a Comment