Monday, January 24, 2011

Escape Novel, what is your favourite?

I have a love hate relationship with reading.  I love it, but I find when I get a good book I have a lot of trouble putting it down and end up neglecting things like husband, children and work.  I have become a bit more disciplined in the last few years, only reading when the kids are otherwise occupied, or before bed at night.  I must admit though, although I miss the characters when I finish a good book, I also breath a sigh of relief because I don’t have that pull to grab my book and ignore the world anymore.
I joke though.  I love reading, and so do both my children.  My husband not so much, in fact I think he has only read one novel since I have known him.  Business books he  has read many, but I can’t convince him of the magic of a great novel, which I find very frustrating and I can’t help feel a little bit sad for him that he is missing such wonderment in life.
Currently I am making my way through the Sookie Stackhouse Novels (by Author Charlaine Harris).  They are pure entertainment, filled with mythical creatures and far fetched plot lines but I am so enjoying them.  Harris has made the characters extremely likable and endearing, even if they are blood sucking vampires.  If you like a bit of fantasy these are your cup of tea, and they are an easy read as well.  
I have mentioned to a few friends that I am currently devouring these novels and have been meet with surprise that I would read something of this nature.  I guess I should be reading intellectual novels that challenge ideas and thoughts.  Hmmm, no thanks.  By the end of my day after caring for two kids and a husband that likes a chat about all things business, I am ready for a bit of pure entertainment.  Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing again the more robust novel and have enjoyed many of them, but I find now I have kids I really have to pick and choose my novels.  Tiredness is major factor for me, and if a novel can’t hold my attention within the first two pages, I will move on, so anything that needs a lot of lead up to get to its point is not for me at this stage in my life.  Also subject matter can make or break a novel for me.  Now I have children I have a lot of trouble reading anything with abuse (towards children) or environmentally terrifying subject matter (I am still trying to bring myself to watch Al Gore’s "An Inconvenient Truth".   I know I should and I want to but it will consume me for weeks and bring on anxiety that I just don’t want to deal with at the moment).  A favourite author of mine is Jodie Picquolt, however there are a few of her novels I have had to put away half way through, My Sister’s Keeper being one of them.  I guess my empathy towards the family in this novel  about a child dying of cancer was just too great.  All of her novels are fantastic, however I often need a breather in between reading her novels and move onto something a little lighter (the “Twilight” series was great for this).
I think as long as you are reading something that you enjoy it is beneficial and such a great example to children.  My six year old has a great grasp on language and I put it down to her intense interest in books, and my son is proving to have this same interest.  Let’s hope number three is the same.
What is your favourite escape Novel?

Jen & Row

No comments:

Post a Comment